In recent years the government of Ivory Coast has helped develop a competitive telecom sector focussed on the provision of converged services, thus allowing operators to offer fixed-line and mobile services under a universal services licence regime.
Although there are two fixed network operators, the market is dominated by Orange Group’s local unit, Orange Côte d’Ivoire. The mobile market is more competitive, with Orange Côte d’Ivoire operating alongside MTN Côte d’Ivoire and Moov. However, over the years a number of alternative operators have either folded, had their licenses revoked, or failed to launch services.
The fixed internet and broadband sectors remain underdeveloped. This is a legacy of poor international connectivity, which resulted in high wholesale prices, limited bandwidth, and a lack of access for alternative operators to international infrastructure. These limitations were addressed following the landing of a second cable in November 2011, and the end to the access monopoly held by Orange Côte d’Ivoire. Orange Group has also launched its 20,000km Djoliba cable system, reaching across eight countries in the region, while the 2Africa submarine cable is being developed by a consortium of companies. With a landing station providing connectivity to Côte d'Ivoire, the system is expected to be completed in late 2023.
- Orange Bank Africa launches in Côte d’Ivoire;
- VipNet responds to growing data demand by upgrading network capacity to 1Gb/s;
- Vivendi Africa launches its FttP-based Canal Box service;
- New tax introduced for money transfers via mobile phones;
- Government further tightens SIM card registration rules;
- MTN Côte d’Ivoire commits to CFA120 billion network upgrade investment;
- Report update includes regulator's market data to September 2021, telcos' operating data to Q4 2021, updated Telecom Maturity Index charts and analyses, assessment of the global impact of the pandemic on the telecoms sector, recent market developments.
Get a Full Copy of this Report
Developing Telecoms market report summaries are produced in partnership with BuddeCom, the world’s largest continually updated online telecommunications research service.
The above article is a summary of the following BuddeCom report:
Report title: Côte d’Ivoire - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
Edition: March 2022
Analyst: Henry Lancaster
Number of pages: 150
Companies mentioned in the report: Côte d’Ivoire Telecom (CI-Telecom), MTN CI, Arobase Telecom, Orange Côte d’Ivoire, Comium CI (KoZ), Etisalat (Moov), LapGreen (Green Network, GreenN, Oricel), Warid Telecom, Globacom, CORA de Comstar, Aircomm CI, Mainstreet Technologies, Africa Online, AfNet, Aviso, Globe Access Internet (Omnes), Intel Afrique, Solaris Telecom, Africom, Afripa Telecom (Atlantique Telecom), Comete, Globe Access, Monicash
Single User PDF Licence Price: US$890
For more information or to purchase a copy of the full report please use the following link: https://www.budde.com.au/Research/C%c3%b4te-d-Ivoire-Ivory-Coast-Telecoms-Mobile-and-Broadband-Statistics-and-Analyses/?r=83