Asian satellite operator Thaicom and CAT Telecom, which runs Thailand’s international telecommunications infrastructure, have announced a joint satellite business venture.
The two companies are partnering to form a joint venture company that will be called Nation Space and Technology Company Limited.
The aim of the venture, according to the partners, is to help strengthen Thailand’s telecommunications infrastructure and to support the growth of the digital economy industry and satellite industry.
The joint venture has a registered capital of approximately $323,667. The majority shareholder is Thaicom, with a 75 percent stake. CAT holds the remaining 25 percent.
Although there is so far very little concrete detail about strategy and investment, CAT president Colonel Sanpachai Huvanandana, quoted in regional press reports, has said that the new company will help boost the opportunity to develop telecom services via low-earth orbit (LEO) systems in order to meet Thailand’s communication needs in the future.
In an apparent reference to changing priorities encouraged by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, reports suggest that the development of technological services via LEO satellites could benefit people by giving them access to high-speed 5G internet services, IoT and machine-to-machine technology as well as helping in the development of such applications as drone technology and remote surgery.